× No matter how large or small the query, we will all benefit by whatever answers come this way.

Topic-icon Heading North

• StevenChris
  • StevenChris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #16138 by StevenChris
StevenChris created the topic: Heading North
Hello All
Heading off for the first time ever in July in our self contained motorhome. We'll hit the coast at Hervey Bay and head up to Cairns and a bit further up. My question to the experienced is: do we need to book into Caravan Parks prior to going, I know this is the peak period. I was hoping to just roll along so as to avoid time management, but I would hate to find no room at the Inn! We will free camp where permitted.
Look forward to a response from anyone who has done this, and how they managed it. Would that be every one ?? Haha.
Thanks, Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #16139 by spalas
spalas replied the topic: Heading North
calliope river is a very good free camp its just inland from gladstone st lawrence is also a good camp who have a small charge then homehill another good free camp cant say as to book ahead as we use free camps where possible

roy and mia (spalas)

if its not broken dont try to fix it I can be contacted on 0429160345
The following user(s) said Thank You: StevenChris

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #16141 by joe50
joe50 replied the topic: Heading North
Another vote for Calliope River - it's actually divided into two camps, north and south of the river, and connected via the Old Bruce Highway. However it was blocked off a couple of years ago to vehicular traffic so you have to go back to the Bruce Highway if you want to drive from one to the other. Waverley Creek is a good overnighter, just south of St Lawrence and well signposted on the Bruce Highway, while Home Hill has two good stopovers - a free one in the town on what looks like a service road parallel to the highway and well recommended on Wikicamps (which means it's very popular and was full up when I was there last October) while you can stay at the showgrounds for $15 per night unpowered or $20 powered. Like Spalas, I also use free camps where possible and stay away from caravan parks.

Cheers and safe travels
Joe

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #16142 by sands
sands replied the topic: Heading North
There is plenty of free / low cost campsites all along the highway Steve.
Calliope and St.Lawrence have both been mentioned,

Some others are Apple Tree Creek, Gin Gin, Yaamba, Marlborough
Flaggy Rock, Carmila, Guthalungra, Home Hill, Balgal Beach.

We don't stay in CPs very often but have never booked ahead when we do.

Cheers, Brian

Last night as I was on the stair
I saw a man that wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish he'd bloody go away.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #16143 by Renfrew
Renfrew replied the topic: Heading North
Hi Steve,

Have you considered travelling further inland?
Not too fa,r but we have just documented the "Coal Country Way" that complements the northern section of the popular "Australlia's Country Way. (Sydney-Tamworth-Rockhampton)

Review the attached pdf document, that althr compact, provides a wealth of information, maps, towns, camping sites, videos & several alternate routes to Rocky, Mackay, Townsville, Atherton Tablelands, Cairns,

From Hervey Bay, travel west, via Biggenden to Ban Ban Springs, free camping. You are now on "Australia's Country Way" Turn north to Gayndah, Mundubbera to Eidsvold. Here at Eidsvold you turn left over the railway line. Cracow has 4 free sites with water, power & concrete.

We travel north each year, now avoid the Bruce Highway & thoroughly enjoy this new route.

Enjoy,

File Attachment:

File Name: CoalCountryWay.pdf
File Size:229 KB

Ruff IT B4U Snuff IT
Attachments:

• StevenChris
  • StevenChris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #16144 by StevenChris
StevenChris replied the topic: Heading North
Thank you, that looks like a definite for one way, probably home. My wife wants to see the coast, so of course, that's what she will see! I will brace myself for the traffic, fortunately plenty of truck driving in the past stands me in good stead. Surely there would most usually be somewhere to stay for the night. I think we will wing it and hope for the best.
Thanks again, Steve

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Advertise with GNA

About GNA

Shop GNA

• Coming soon
  • Newsletter
  • Coming soon