Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Be sure to tell us where and what your photo portrays. Please do not keep us all in suspense.

TOPIC: Simpson Desert

Simpson Desert 7 months 2 weeks ago #16068

• sharon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 312
Hi everyone,

Well it is getting closer to the date for our Simpson Desert adventure. So I pulled out an old map (note to self: texta in updates) and started compiling a list of what to pack plus do's and dont's.

As this will predominantly be a 4WD trip, we will be roughing it in a tent (boo, but it was me that picked the destination so I only have myself to blame). However the Honda 2KVA generator, 40 litre Engel fridge and camp oven are already on the list.

I know from past experiences not to hover over Smeds shoulder crunching away on chips when he has the bonnet up troubleshooting an engine noise.
Also that it is ok to take a photo of him changing the first flat tyre but after tyre number 4, walk away and try to remain invisible.
I know NOT to decide to take up drinking beer when he is down to his last gold can and the nearest bottle shop is 250kms away. That doesn't go down well either.
And if it rains, quit whining. That goes for mice plagues eating us while we sleep too.

So, will keep you all updated and happy to read of other indiosyncrasies that others have learnt from their own personal travels.

Cheers,
Sharon

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Simpson Desert 7 months 2 weeks ago #16071

• Drifters
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Phil
  • Thank you received: 559
Hi Sharon
I ran into some 4WD in the big desert a while back and stopped to chat.
It turned out to be a desert 4WD instructor training some novices in sand driving prior to taking them across the Simpson.
The students were very excited about the adventure.
Phil

Simpson Desert 7 months 2 weeks ago #16072

• sands
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 299
I'm sure you will enjoy it Sharon.

It's my favourite part of Australia to visit.

The Engel and camp oven are a must. We didn't take or need the gennie.

Which way are you going?

We started at Birdsville so went from east to west. Doing it that way the dunes are steeper but shorter and you don't have the sun in your eyes.

Another tip . . . .make sure you have everything tied down. There are some pretty big bumps near the top of some of the dunes and you can't slow down
or swerve to miss them.
The Engel bouncing around behind your seat is not something I'd recommend . B)

Also, going east to west makes Dalhousie Springs a special place. Four days in the desert without a tub makes it a special place.

Anyway, enjoy it. I intend to do it again in the next couple of years.

Cheers, Brian
Last night as I was on the stair
I saw a man that wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish he'd bloody go away.

Simpson Desert 7 months 2 weeks ago #16073

• sharon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 312
Hi Phil and Sands,

We're excited too. Have been reading up on facts, etc.
"The Simpson Desert is an erg which contains the world's longest parallel sand dunes. The Simpson is also the world's largest sand dune desert."

Smed is wondering if he should keep the split rims on the Landcruiser ute or change them to fat ones. We understand fat is good for dune climbing however we have a fair whack of bitumen to get there and back plus there will be tracks as well.

We are teaming up with a mate in a Hilux ute. He suggested west to east for the easier climb but I'm with you Sands about the sun in your eyes. Everything will be tied down accordingly and I should buy one of those seat belt fluffy cover thingys so the seatbelt doesn't rub my shoulder off. Our visit to Cape York did just that.

We are heading from Newcastle end and would like to go one way and come back another. Something else I need to think about as I have been designated navigator. Any thoughts on tracks, pubs, places of interest, etc would be greatly appreciated. We're allowing 3-4 weeks.

Cheers,
Sharon
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by sharon.

Simpson Desert 7 months 2 weeks ago #16076

• sands
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 299
G'day Sharon,

I'm envious now just thinking about all.

Going from east to west, Mt. Dare is the obvious place to head for after the crossing.
Cabins, camping area, bar, restaurant, servo etc. All one business.
Diesel was $2.60 litre, but there is no alternative.

Then we went across to Oodnadatta, down the Oodnadatta Track to William Creek , Marree and back up the Birdsville track through Mungerannie.

Great pub at William Creek. Also it's worth going into the pub at Oodnadatta.
I wouldn't call Oodnadatta pub great, but it's worth a look.

Mungerannie too. Very good meals.

Cheers, Brian
Last night as I was on the stair
I saw a man that wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish he'd bloody go away.

Simpson Desert 7 months 5 days ago #16100

• smed
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Good to know Sands. Food is very important to me. Camp oven is on the list plus a milk crate of timber. We've read the kms is about 550 from east to west so will take a jerry of diesel too. The cruiser has twin tanks but rather be safe than stranded. Looks like a mate from Cape York and his son on a trail bike might be joining us.
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds

Advertise with GNA

About GNA

Shop GNA

• Coming soon
  • Newsletter
  • Coming soon