Topic-icon My Bucket List

• Bucket List
  • Bucket List's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 5 months ago #15621 by Bucket List
Bucket List replied the topic: My Bucket List
Thank you Sands. At that sort of money I think I might cross the Simpson off my bucket list LOL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• outback_traveller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 5 months ago #15666 by outback_traveller
outback_traveller replied the topic: My Bucket List
Hello again Bucket List,

My wife's family live on the Central Coast and her sister did exactly what you suggested; she hired a motorhome and set off for a few weeks. She's not a traveller as such, it was just a holiday.

Before we hit the road, we packed our small car with camping gear and set off for three months. During that time we picked cherries at Young but mostly camped in National Parks. We sold the house shortly after returning home.

• Bucket List
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 5 months ago #15667 by Bucket List
Thank you outback_traveller. More positive news from this site. Going solo is once again confirmed and to read that after you had the taste of travel you had to go again. I'm guessing cherry picking would be hard work, aren't they up high? Are you allowed to eat some? But I guess when you do such work it is only short term plus adds to another life experience.

• outback_traveller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
1 year 5 months ago #15669 by outback_traveller
outback_traveller replied the topic: My Bucket List
Hello Bucket List,

Investigate the CMCA (motorhome club), if you haven't done so already. You'll find that there are many solo travellers and lots live on the road permanently. There are many sub-groups within the club, known as chapters, one of which caters specifically for solo travellers. They don't necessarily travel together but do meet from time to time at their own rallies or the larger general rallies.

We found fruit picking generally to be hard work and not very rewarding financially. Cherry picking was probably the easiest fruit to pick and everyone stuffs themselves with cherries. The owner of one of the properties that we worked on allowed us to clean up the trees that still had fruit on them after the picking season had finished. This was especially good because the late season dark cherries are the best.

• Bucket List
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 4 months ago #15707 by Bucket List
Thank you outback_traveller. I have been investigating and am now even more tormented than before. I would like to have a go at fruit picking even if just for the memories and free food. Cherries are up there with my favourites so I'm guessing it is better to try something you prefer and perhaps steer clear of onions LOL. If you find the job is far from what you imagined is it rude to leave or are you expected to stay for the season?

• Bucket List
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
1 year 2 months ago #15820 by Bucket List
Well a little update on me. I am still fantasizing about the motor home I still have not decided on LOL but I thought I should google what jobs might be out there if and when I start my adventures. I started with cherry picking but they are obviously not in season but there is a position looking for a cook helper near Moree that provides accommodation and meals plus a wage. I am wondering if I should have a go as its not overly too far from home but they state that who gets the job is to stay for the duration. I know this isn't exactly the lifestyle of a grey nomad because I have not yet got myself a bed on a set of wheels but I am wondering if this might help me start off. Ahhh, this can be such a frustrating exercise LOL.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Advertise with GNA

About GNA

Shop GNA

• Coming soon
  • Newsletter
  • Coming soon